About Me

My photo

I'm a 30-something wife and mom. My boys are my pride and joy. Together, we are navigating being a forever family post international adoption.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The Nitty-Gritty


Here we are, almost one year post international adoption. So many people ask how are things going. "Great," I say, "so good!" Most people don't want to hear more than that. If someone is willing to listen to the nitty-gritty, they usually end up telling me I'm too hard on Buddy, Hubby, myself, or all of the above.

Please don't get me wrong, things are going great. The three of us are are settling in and I love my family so much. I love my monthly date night with Hubby. I love when Buddy crawls into bed with me on Saturday mornings. I love our two silly dogs that bark at any-and-everything.

Does that mean things are perfect? Absolutely not, in fact we are far from it. Buddy spent most of his young life in less than optimal conditions. It affects him, and our family as a whole, every day. He has grown up having to take care of himself, and it is hard for him to trust us when he thinks he knows better.

Of course, Buddy is not the only one with "issues." We all bring our flaws and imperfections to the table, and learning how to navigate has been a challenge. We have all made mistakes. Often times I feel I have made more than my boys combined.

Some days are good, some not so good, and some are down-right bad. But, in the end, the good outnumbers the bad a-million-to-one. When I think about it, even the bad stuff isn't so bad because we get to go through it together. I am very blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment