About Me

My photo

I'm a 30-something wife and mom. My boys are my pride and joy. Together, we are navigating being a forever family post international adoption.

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Soccer in the Rain

I haven't been able to make it out to many of Buddy's soccer games because of my work schedule, so I was really looking forward to being able to attend a rare Saturday game. Until I looked at the weather forecast, which predicted heavy showers for most of the day. Hubby and I were determined to tough it out, so we packed up our rain coats, rubber boots and folding chairs and headed off the soccer fields at the neighborhood high-school soccer field.

Everything started off ok. About 10 minutes in to the first half, it started to spit. Then drizzle. Then rain. Then pour. By half time the kids were soaked and I was so thankful that Hubby remembered to bring his giant golf umbrella. To be honest, this Mama Bear was hoping for thunder. No such luck.

Thank goodness Hubby brought his golf umbrella!
The field was pretty slick by the second half, and Buddy slipped in the mud and tripped a boy from the other team. He got a cleat to the knee and a penalty for pushing. Buddy started off the season with multiple penalties due to not believing us that when his coach yelled "Buddy, PUSH!" it didn't mean to literally push someone down. We ended up having a pretty stern talk to him about the penalties needing to come to an end. Which they did, until this incident.

I could see that Buddy was upset from across the field. I hate to be that Mom, but when one of the parents leaned over and asked if I thought my little guy was OK, I figured it was fine for me to check. I ran over to the team's bench and found him sitting there with a bruised knee and an even more bruised ego. I resisted the urge to scoop him up in a big hug since I could tell he was trying to be tough in front of his coaches. Instead, I told him he was playing well, that I knew the penalty wasn't his fault and asked if he was going to be OK. He sniffled, shook his head yes and gave me a little smile. I told him to ice his knee and not go back in until he felt better and headed back to the spectator side of the field.

He went in a few minutes later and played the rest of the game like a champ. I am so proud of him for being able to shake it off and move forward with a good attitude!

No comments:

Post a Comment