About Me

My photo

I'm a 30-something wife and mom. My boys are my pride and joy. Together, we are navigating being a forever family post international adoption.

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Running for Grandpa

My step-father died a few years ago after a long battle with cancer. He raised my brother and I from a young age and although he wasn't legally my father, he was definitely my Dad. I get a lot of who I am from him; my strength, my stubbornness, my work ethic. Most importantly, it is because of my Dad that I never doubted for a second that I would be able to love a child who wasn't my blood.

My Dad's dad died before I had a chance to meet him. I am sad to say the same is true for Buddy and his Grandpa. We talk about my Dad all the time, so even though Buddy didn't meet him he knows a lot about him. He often remarks how similar I am to Grandpa Bear. That makes me smile, because I never questioned that my Dad loved me as his own. He was protective, encouraging, and expected the best of and for me and my siblings. If that is how Buddy sees me, that isn't half bad.

This week Buddy's school did a run to raise money and awareness for cancer prevention and research. Each child got a sticker to put on their shirt that said "I'm running for... ______ " and on Buddy's, he wrote " My Grandpa".

I know Grandpa Bear is so proud. I am, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment