About Me

My photo

I'm a 30-something wife and mom. My boys are my pride and joy. Together, we are navigating being a forever family post international adoption.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

A Room of His Own

When we first decided to pursue adoption, one of the things we needed to do was prepare a room for our future child(ren). Since there are only two bedrooms on the main floor of our home, Hubby had to move his office into the basement.

The old office was truely hideous. I'm not sure, but I think our homes previous owners may have been color blind because nothing else could explain their paint choices. Our home used to be a mish-mash of pink, green, mauve, mustard yellow and teal. And the office was a drab, dark, diarrhea green. With horrible brass wall sconces. Hubby "improved" things by adding his dark wood office furniture and brown curtains. I shake my head just thinking of it.

We didn't know what number, age or gender of child(ren) we would be adopting, so we decided to keep the room neutral when we updated it. We painted it yellow (so cliche, I know) and bought a white dresser, trundle bed and shelving unit from Ikea. Add some new curtains and bedding and that was that. A perfectly fine, perfectly generic child's bedroom.

On Sunday, Hubby took Buddy grocery shopping and I decided to hang a poster that Buddy had recently picked out. As I placed the image of a Minecraft creeper on the wall, I looked around and realized how much the room has changed. It is still yellow, and we still have the same white furniture. But on every surface and in every corner there is something that reflects Buddy's personality.

I am so happy that my Sweet Boy finally has a room of his own.
The old paint and dark furniture, plus Grem and Swar
Picture we submitted with our dossier

          
The Buddy-fied room. So much better! (I may have tidied up before snapping the pics :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment