About Me

My photo

I'm a 30-something wife and mom. My boys are my pride and joy. Together, we are navigating being a forever family post international adoption.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

At the End of the Rainbow

I am a very analytical and practical person. I don't go through life looking for signs. In fact, when describing something "perfect" (or more often saying how something is not perfect) I compare it to "kittens and rainbows," usually sarcastically.

Since we met Buddy, I have noticed rainbows. Or rather, Buddy has made me notice them. We agreed to adopt Buddy the day we met him. He agreed the next day. On the third day, we went to the nearest western-accredited doctor to get Buddy a check-up. On the way, the road was bumpy, the car was crowded and the weather was grey and rainy. All of a sudden, Buddy went from silent to animated. He was gesturing out the window and saying "photo, photo."

The clouds had parted slightly, and a bright rainbow was shining through. I smiled and nodded that I saw, but he kept pointing and insisting "photo," so I got our camera out and passed it to Buddy. He happily snapped away at the rainbow until the sky clouded over and it was gone.

Buddy is a rough-and-tumble boy but when it comes to rainbows he always pauses and comments. If there is a phone or camera handy, he wants a picture as well. I'm not sure what it is with Buddy and rainbows. Maybe it is the wonder of their formation, maybe it is their vibrant beauty, maybe it is the legend of the pot of gold at the end,

Buddy asked me once if I believe there is a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. I told him no, but in truth I thought something slightly different to myself. On that third day of knowing him, I saw a rainbow. And I followed it. And what I have found at the end is much more precious to me than gold.

So I believe.

Our first rainbow together
Buddy posing with a rainbow


11 comments:

  1. I love that you have a picture of your first rainbow together and that Buddy takes pause in the beauty of them. It is a wonderful thing when we can also take pause in our children and their stories. Thank you. I am going to REALLY stop and take in the next rainbow I see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think much of it at the time, but now I am so glad we have the picture. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. This is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love rainbows to! I am the same way, give me a camera and it the two make me smile. There was a pot of gold at the end of his rainbow that day and it was you. So yes, there is gold we just have to wait and see when it will appear. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anyone is a treasure it is Buddy. We're lucky to have him as our son!

      Delete
  4. Oooh, this gave me goosebumps. What beauty and joy in this....

    What a gift he is.

    Thanks for sharing and for linking up to the #SHINEbloghop.

    Wishing you a lovely day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and reading. It's one of my favorite stories!

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful story. It takes the wonder of a child to change our perspective sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of a rough and tumble boy so attuned to this wonder of nature. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww I just love this! So sweet. I believe too :-)

    ReplyDelete