About Me

My photo

I'm a 30-something wife and mom. My boys are my pride and joy. Together, we are navigating being a forever family post international adoption.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Hitting Reset

This time of year is stressful for everyone in my family, myself included. Buddy loves certain aspects of Christmas and his birthday, but there is a lot of pain and grief that comes along with these special times.

Sometimes Buddy doesn't seem to realize he is acting out. Other times he is purposely mean, especially towards me. In both cases, he isn't able to understand why he is going through so many hard feelings.

I know his suffering is what brings on his cruelty, neediness, and impatience. While I don't have to like it, I do have to be compassionate. But sometimes it can cause me to suffer, too. It is a case of two wrongs not making a right.

Our minister is a big fan of something she calls a "reset prayer." There isn't a particular set of words to this prayer, what makes it different is the breathing technique you use.

Sit with your feet on the ground and your shoulders back and turn your awareness to your breath.

Close your eyes and let your body relax.

Concentrate on your breathing and let go of everything else. 

Take normal breaths in an out but wait until your body tells you to breath.

Open your mind and focus on God.

Sit in peace for a minute or two, or less if you don't have a full minute. 

This prayer is very calming and soothing. I like to use it when I am feeling stressed or overwhelmed. It helps to center and relax me. It is a way to hit the reset button on life and bring everything into perspective. This helps me be a better Mom to Buddy and a better wife to Hubby.

Do you feel stressed? Need a break? Take a minute to breath and remember you are not alone.

I love the idea of hitting reset.

No comments:

Post a Comment