About Me

My photo

I'm a 30-something wife and mom. My boys are my pride and joy. Together, we are navigating being a forever family post international adoption.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Schmoo Cake

Left: Hubby's cake                Right: Buddy's cake

Every year for Hubby's birthday he requests a Shmoo cake. This year, Buddy requested the same cake for his birthday with a minor modification*. Both of my boys love caramel, and this cake delivers that in spades. 

Ingredients:
Cake:
- 6 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar**
- 1 C granulated sugar, divided in to 2 1/2 C
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 C flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 C pecans, finely chopped*
*Buddy requested that I substitute M&Ms for pecans. I used mini M&Ms so I didn't have to chop them.
**Cream of tartar is used to stabilize egg whites,It can be substitute with 1 tsp of lemon juice or vinegar.

Filling:
- 2 C whipping cream
- 2-3 tbsp icing sugar

Sauce***:
- 1 C whipping cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 C brown sugar
*** I always make a double recipe since my boys LOVE this sauce. 

Cake:
- Oil a 10-inch tube pan or equivalent pan. (I use a 10-inch bunt pan) and pre-heat the oven to 325 F
- Beat egg whites in a large non-plastic bowl, until they are almost stiff. Slowly add cream of tartar and 1/2 C of sugar. It is done when everything looks combined and you can tip the bowl without the contents running out.
-In a different bowl, beat the egg yolks until they are light and add the other 1/2 cup of sugar and the vanilla.
- Gently fold the yolk mixture into the whites. Then add and gently fold in the flour and baking powder. Finally, fold in the chopped nuts. (I like to save some for decorating the cake).
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 1 hour. (Since I use a bunt pan, I only bake for about 35 minutes). You will be able to tell it is done when it is lightly browned and you can insert a toothpick into the middle of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done. If the toothpick comes out with crumbs, or clearly shows wet cake batter, the cake is not finished.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly, then invert gently until fully cool. 
- Slice the cake into 2 equal layer.

Filling:  
- While the cake is cooling, start on the filling.
- Whip 2 C of whipping cream and sweeten with icing sugar to taste (2-3 tbsp). I like to whip the cream until it is quite firm and I can tip the bowl sideways without it running out.
- Put a layer of filling on the bottom cake layer and then gently replace the top. If you want, you can also add some sauce to the bottom layer before the filling.
- Use the remander of the filling to decorate the cake. I like to cover the entire cake, but you could also make rosettes or other decorations if you are fancy!

Sauce:
- Bring 1 C of whipping cream, butter and brown sugar to a gentle boil in a saucepan. Don't let it get to hot and stir the mixture so it doesn't burn or splatter.
- Remove it from heat and let it cool to room temperature. Stir occasionally to keep it from separating. 
- Before serving, drizzle the cake in the sauce. You can also decorate the cake with some reserved chopped pecans.

4 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds delicious! I bet my guys would love it with the mini m&m's! Thank you for sharing this at the #SHINEBlogHop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea, my Hubby loves peanut butter! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing at OMHG WW :)

    ReplyDelete