About Me

My photo

I'm a 30-something wife and mom. My boys are my pride and joy. Together, we are navigating being a forever family post international adoption.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Next Week...

Next week, I'm going to get the Christmas decorations put away...

Next week, I'll to call the dentist to re-schedule my appointment that conflicts with Buddy's school schedule...

Next week, I will tackle that mountain of paperwork on my desk I've been putting off...

I am, perhaps, the world's worst procrastinator. The degree to which I can put something off would be impressive if it wasn't such a terrible quality. It's a bit against character, because in most every other aspect of my life I am very organized and conscientious.

My first year of University was extremely stressful. I was away from home for the first time, in a new city, living in a dorm without my familiar support system. I wanted desperately to follow in my father's footsteps and be accepted into the same program he had taken. I studied too hard, slept too little and made myself sick.

I did get into my dream program, but it still took me another couple of years to learn that life is too short to stress myself out over things beyond my control. So in some regards my pendulum swung the other direction and I developed a habit for procrastinating.

When I was finishing up my University program, I had to take a 3 day comprehensive written and oral exam in order to be licensed in my profession. Some of my classmates started studying months in advance. I, on the other hand, chose to wait until the week before.

I passed, by the way, but I'm pretty sure it was by the skin of my teeth.

Now that a few (many!) years have passed, I think that I benefit just as much from my procrastination as I suffer from it. Yes, I sometimes having to bust it into high gear to finish things I have been putting off. But I have learned not to sweat the small stuff, to take time for myself and to breath.

These qualities have been immeasurably important since I've become a Mom. If I was still rigidly type A, I don't know if I would be able to cope nearly as well with all the ups and downs of being an adoptive parent.

But seriously, I've got to get these Christmas decorations put away.

Next week...
It's a start... Right... ?

No comments:

Post a Comment