About Me

My photo

I'm a 30-something wife and mom. My boys are my pride and joy. Together, we are navigating being a forever family post international adoption.

Friday, February 20, 2015

Lent, Generosity and 40 Acts




I grew up in a church that followed the traditional Christian liturgical calendar, so I don't remember at time where I didn't know about the season of Lent. For those of you not familiar, Lent is the period of 40 days that precedes Easter.

It wasn't until I started university that I encountered the concept of giving something up for Lent. I had classmates who gave up alcohol, meat or chocolate for those 40 days. I can see how this could be great for some people, but I never felt a personal connection with the practice.

This year, I came across the 40 Acts Challenge. Started by the UK group Stewardship, it is in it's 5th year of encouraging people to take a daily"generosity" challenge during the season of Lent. If you sign up, you also get an email every morning with the challenge, a Bible quote and an inspirational message.

Each challenge has a theme you can take and run with, or you can do one or more suggested actions. There are also different levels that are based on factors like time, finances and current generosity habits. You pick the level that works for you for that day.

Lent is a season of conversion. While giving up junk food for 40 days would be a form of fasting, I know on day 41 I would be diving into a bag of chips and washing them down with a cold beer. Not much conversion there.

I signed up for the 40 Acts Challenge because I truly feel I will learn and grow from it. After the first 2 challenges I am already feeling, well, challenged! I am looking forward to what the next 38 days has in store for me.

It's not too late to sign up. You can also follow along on social media with the hashtag #40acts.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely "spin" on lent. I love to do more rather than "give up". This year I'm participating in a 40 day reading through the gospels Bible challenge. I love what you shared here though... awesome!

    Thanks for sharing (and for linking up to the #SHINEbloghop).

    Wishing you a lovely weekend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a really interesting way to celebrate Lent, too. I want to focus on being mindful this season.

      Delete