About Me

My photo

I'm a 30-something wife and mom. My boys are my pride and joy. Together, we are navigating being a forever family post international adoption.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Adoption and Luck

Buddy is lucky.

He has more than enough of what he needs. Food, clothes, shelter. He is loved.

He is lucky, just like I'm lucky. Our family is lucky.

We don't have to worry about where our next meal will come from or where we'll sleep tonight. We have closets full of clothes and money in the bank. We have people in our lives that not only tell us they love us, but show us that they do.

But being adopted has nothing to do with luck.

In order for a child to be available for adoption, their parental ties must be severed. That means they legally have no Mom or Dad, even if one or both are still alive. This can be for a multitude of reasons: abuse, neglect, poverty, etc.

These children are not lucky.

When we adopted Buddy, we took him away from his country, his language, his culture. We took him away from the only life he had ever know. If that happened to me, I wouldn't consider myself lucky.

Every single time someone tells me Buddy is lucky to have been adopted by Hubby and I, I reply "No, we are the lucky ones to have him as our son." And I truly mean it.

Our family is lucky for all we have. That doesn't diminish the trauma that Buddy experienced.

4 comments:

  1. Very true, and beautifully said

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. I always acknowledge the loss that accompanies my children's adoption. They get to ultimately decide how lucky they feel.

    ReplyDelete