About Me

My photo

I'm a 30-something wife and mom. My boys are my pride and joy. Together, we are navigating being a forever family post international adoption.

Monday, March 2, 2015

Dress Gate and Other Perspectives

You must have seen it by now. The dress that divided the world. It made us all pick a team: white and gold or blue and black?

The fact that this photo caused such aggressive polarization got me thinking about perception. About the times in life when two people see the same thing two different ways.

This happens a lot between Buddy and I. We have opposite views on a subject and can't seem to come eye-to-eye.

I will admit, I usually think I am firmly right and Buddy is completely wrong.

But this silly dress has me thinking - maybe it's all a matter of perspective.

Buddy and I spent our formative years very differently. I will never claim to have had the ideal childhood, but I had more consistency than inconsistency. More nurturing than neglect. More positives than negatives. The same can't be said for Buddy.

Maybe it is completely reasonable that we just don't see things the same way.

Co-incidentally, I see the dress as white and gold. Buddy sees it as black and blue. And apparently, at least according to wired.com, I am the one who is utterly, completely wrong.

At least this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment