About Me

My photo

I'm a 30-something wife and mom. My boys are my pride and joy. Together, we are navigating being a forever family post international adoption.

Friday, April 10, 2015

A Very Special Birthday Wish

Today, it's the birthday of someone very special to our family. Someone who is in our hearts every moment of every day.

Today it is Buddy's Mom's birthday.

Even though she couldn't be there in person, we had a birthday party for her. We did the same last year, and I hope it will be an annual tradition.

Because she lives half a world away, we had it last night so that we were celebrating on the actual date of her birth in her part of the world. Do you follow that? Probably not, it's complicated. But then, what part of adoption isn't!

Buddy picked a meal that she would like. This year it was hard boiled eggs with mayonnaise, sausage, potato dumplings and cucumbers. Before we ate, we light a candle and each made one wish for her upcoming year.

I'm not going to tell you what we wished for, because then they wont come true!

What I really wish is that Buddy could tell her Happy Birthday himself. But, for a variety of complicated and sad reasons, this is just not possible. Hopefully one day things will change, but for now it is what it is.

If you have a moment today, it would mean the world to me if you would think a thought for Buddy's Mom.


8 comments:

  1. What a very special thing to do for your son. Thanks for sharing on #WASO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's nice to be able to celebrate his first family with him.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful that you could fill a need for your child in this way....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he wants to stop one day, we will. But we're leaving that decision up to him. We all get something beneficial out of remembering her.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh. This post made me tear up a little. What a wonderful and powerful way to help Buddy connect to his first mom. I love this idea, and I love the idea of celebrating in her time zone too. Wow. Really neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually pretty impressed we though this one up. Thanks for the lovely comment!

      Delete