About Me

My photo

I'm a 30-something wife and mom. My boys are my pride and joy. Together, we are navigating being a forever family post international adoption.

Friday, May 22, 2015

Adoption Sore Points and Child to Parent Violence

Our UK friends at The Adoption Social have introduced a new initiative called Adoption Sore Points.

I am hugely grateful to the adoption community for giving me a place to vent, question and find other parents in similar situations to my own. However, some topics are still taboo and those going through some very hard things feel they must do it alone.

Enter Adoption Sore Points. A week out of the month where we can talk about these difficult subjects. There is power in numbers, people, and together we can support and empower those who are struggling.

This week the topic being tackled is "Child to Parent Violence" or CPV. There are parents out there who aren't able to find a balance between allowing their children to process their pain and keeping themselves and the other members of their families safe.

Buddy pushed me only once during a particularly explosive release of anger. It barely hurt but I still remember the feeling of shock that my Sweet Boy laid a hand on me in violence. I also remember the feeling of helplessness that filled me ever time Buddy would self hurt.

I can't imagine how much those feelings are compounded when your child is actually hurting you or other members of your family. Leaving bruises and cuts, visible scars on those who are trying to love and accept unconditionally.

I have no words of advice.

All I can offer is my respect and empathy for those of you going through it. You are strong. I'm sending massive hugs your way through the screen right now.

But you deserve more than that. You deserve to know how to safely stop your child from inflicting physical pain on you.

I hope you'll join in the conversation. I know for a fact you are not alone and shouldn't feel like you have to suffer in silence.

For more information, check out The Adoption Social.

No comments:

Post a Comment