About Me

My photo

I'm a 30-something wife and mom. My boys are my pride and joy. Together, we are navigating being a forever family post international adoption.

Monday, June 8, 2015

Who the Heck is Garri Potter?

Buddy is a really witty, funny, sarcastic kid. He is my son, after all.

When we first met Buddy at the orphanage, he was pretty quiet and reserved. This was generally the case when we were around other people, especially adults. But as soon as we were alone, his exhuberant personality would shine through.

By the time our adoption was complete and we were ready to go home, we had known each other for nearly two month. While we still had a long way to go, we were pretty comfortable and bonded over joking around and teasing each other.

I remember walking down a congested sidewalk in the middle of the day on our way to pick up Buddy's travel visa a few days before we went home. It was so crowded we couldn't all walk together. Hubby was in front and Buddy and I were following behind him, hand in hand.

As we walked, we passed a poster for a Harry Potter movie. I pointed it out and asked Buddy if he had seen the movies. He looked at me like I was crazy and corrected me that it was not Harry. The famous wizard, in fact, went by the name Garri.

Who the heck is Garri Potter?

I corrected him. No his name isn't Garri. That may the translation, but he is British and named Harry.

I'll save you the back and forth of the next 10 minutes, but it basically went like this: "Garri!" "Not Garri, HARRY!" "NO Harry, GARRI!"...

Eventually Hubby turned around, rolled his eyes, laughed, and asked us to keep it down. I looked around the busy street and realized that we were basically yelling at each other and laughing like maniacs. And in a country known for it stoicism, we were sticking out like a couple of sore thumbs.

When we were in Universal at Harry Potter Land, I remembered this. And Buddy did, too, because he looked up at me as we were walking, holding hands, laughed and said "No Harry, GARRI!"

Spasiba, Garri Potter, for giving me my first inside joke with Buddy.


6 comments:

  1. so funny, I love the funny things children say. Our son used to love cars and would call a Buggati Veyron a spaghetti moron! thanks for sharing on #WASO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking I need to write them all down so I don't forget them!

      Delete
  2. Lovely! Really nice that you have this to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're reading the books now, and Buddy "corrects" me occasionally while I read. It's funny, the things that stick.

      Delete