About Me

My photo

I'm a 30-something wife and mom. My boys are my pride and joy. Together, we are navigating being a forever family post international adoption.

Monday, July 20, 2015

Buddy on Adoption and Being Adopted

What does adoption mean?
Adoption is when some other people become a family with a child who doesn't have a really good life with their birth family.

Why would a kid not have a good life with their birth family?
If the kid's parents die or if the parents run away and leave their child.

Why do kids have to be adopted?
Kids don't have to be adopted but I think its is better for the child to be adopted. They could go to an orphanage.

Do you think it's better for kids to live in a foster family or in an orphanage?
A foster family because in an orphanage teachers can't be nice to everyone, there are too many children. But in a foster family there are only a few children.

Is it a good thing or a bad thing to be adopted?
It is a bad thing if somebody is getting adopted even though they don't want to be. It is a good thing to be adopted if you want to be and if the people who are trying to adopt you are good. It really depends on the person.

Do you think it's good or bad that you were adopted?
I don't think it's a bad thing or a good thing, it just is. 

How does it feel to be adopted?
It feels different at first but after a while it feels like you're my birth parents.

Does adoption make you different than your friends?
Yes, because they don't know how it feels to be adopted.

Do your friends know you're adopted? 
Some of my friends know that I'm adopted and I'm perfectly fine with them knowing. I don't want to tell everybody because I don't feel comfortable telling everybody.

Should birth parents be given help so they could keep their children?
Yes, they should. But if they have to do something bad to keep their children, then no. Like kill someone or sell drugs or steal money.

Do you ever think about your birth Mom or Dad?
Yes, I do think of them sometimes, when somebody reminds me of them. If somebody says something about them, but probably nobody does. Or if I remind myself.

Do you think it's good that people want to adopt?
Yes, because people who are adopted probably don't have a good life before.

Should every family adopt?
No, because some families want only birth children and some families want only to adopt and some families want both.

Do you think kids should get to pick their adoptive parents?
Yes, they should. Because if they get adopted by the family that they don't really want to get adopted by they will probably have a worse life than before.

Did you get to pick?
Yes, I did because if I didn't the first family that was trying to adopt me would have adopted me. 

What would you tell someone who didn't know much about adoption or being adopted?
That it's scary at first but later it gets better and better.

What makes you who you are? 
I am blond that's what makes me who I am and how I act and stuff like that. I don't know. 

Does who you are come from your birth family or your adoptive family?
Both. The smartness is probably from you guys. The physical stuff is probably from them.

What makes a family?
If you love your birth family or adopted family that's what makes a good family.


I've already told Buddy my thoughts on his answers, but I know he would love to hear your feedback!

These questions come from The Adoption Social http://theadoptionsocial.com/uncategorized/interview-with-an-adopted-child-questions/

4 comments:

  1. I think Buddy's got a pretty good handle on it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very impressed with him, especially given his age and the length of time we've been a family.

      Delete
  2. Hey, interesting post Buddy! It's good to think about the adoptee's thoughts on being adopted and their families. It's made me think about what my girls would say if I asked them the above questions. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will pass that along. I don't know what I expected him to say, but he definitely surprised me (in a good way).

      Delete