About Me

My photo

I'm a 30-something wife and mom. My boys are my pride and joy. Together, we are navigating being a forever family post international adoption.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Buddy's First Day of School

The first day of school was pretty nerve wracking for our family. This year, it was time for Buddy to move to a new school.

Each time at a new school has been really hard for Buddy.

When he started school after we came home, he wasn't secure enough with Hubby and I to express his emotions. Instead, he was overly exuberant to cover up his terror. But he was a wreck inside and after a few months we decided to transfer him to a school that could better meet his needs.

The start at his second school showed emotional progress. He was vocal about not wanting to go, but not able to talk to Hubby and I about his feelings. When we dropped him off the first day he burst into tears, no longer able to push his scared feelings down.

This year, we talked quite a bit about how Buddy felt nervous about starting at a new school. He didn't like the idea of a new place with new teachers and students. He was scared and uncertain.

He was able to connect with his emotions and express them. He opened up to Hubby and I and made himself vulnerable. And he trusted us to support him and give him comfort.

As I drove Buddy to school the first day, he was bubbly and exuberant, but also very honest about how nervous he was. We went over his homeroom number and teacher's name. We talked about what he could do at lunch. And we drove by some of his former classmates on their way to the new school, too.

I pulled into the parking lot and started to walk him into the school. Buddy looked at me and said, "It's OK, Mom, I can walk in by myself."

He grabbed his lunch, backpack, gym bag and 2 boxes of Kleenex (a requirement that doesn't make much sense to me) and off he went.

I watched him cross the parking lot and walk up into his new school with a combination of sadness and pride. 

He has come so far in such a short amount of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment