About Me

My photo

I'm a 30-something wife and mom. My boys are my pride and joy. Together, we are navigating being a forever family post international adoption.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

The World Around Us - I Stand With Ukraine


I have never claimed to be a political person. However, the situation in Ukraine has gotten to a point where I feel the need to throw my voice into the fray.

My Grandparents immigrated from Ukraine (not "the" Ukraine, BTW) around the time of WWII. Prior to that, they had endured many hardships, including Holodomor. From 1932-1933, former Soviet leader Joseph Stalin orchestrated a genocide also known as the Terror-Famine. It claimed millions of Ukrainian lives and was blamed by the USSR government on natural factors and poor economy. Some continue to deny Holodomor.

Some people also deny the atrocities currently happening in Ukraine. If you are interested, and I hope you are, please think critically about what you read. There are many opposing reports out there. It's hard to distinguish facts from propaganda.

A family member of mine just returned home from his time at the front lines. If you think the situation in Ukraine has improved, or that there is peace, you are wrong.



The situation in Ukraine  is complicated. Much too complicated for someone like me to be able to provide any real insight. All I can do is speak up and say that Ukraine does not belong to anyone but herself.

I am proud of my Ukrainian heritage, just as my Grandfather taught me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment