About Me

My photo

I'm a 30-something wife and mom. My boys are my pride and joy. Together, we are navigating being a forever family post international adoption.

Monday, September 5, 2016

In a Nutshell

Guys.

It's been a minute since I checked in. Actually, it's been more like a year.

I miss writing this blog, processing my thoughts, and having a hobby that is just mine.

I miss you! I have gained so much from the interactions, sense of community and new friends I have gained by blogging.

So, this year isn't shaping up to be any easier (professionally) than last, but I have learned a lot about time management, delegation and work-life balance over the past 12 months. So I am going to make a real effort to carve out time to blog more often.

Over the last year, we have gone through a lot as a family. I am going to jot down a few things I can think of off the top of my head:


- Buddy started junior high (a big change - not one that we were very well supported with by his new school). This meant several new teachers (good and bad), new friends (good and bad) and a whole lot more homework and independence (bad, bad, BAD). But we got by and hopefully found a good routine and will have a better game plan for this coming school year.

- Hubby and I worked a lot. Like a LOT, a lot.

- We bought a new house last October and are in the process of finishing our new basement and having the back yard landscaped. Soon we will have a media room and a pool. This makes the previous point a bit easier to deal with.

- Because of work and saving money for home renovations, we didn't do much in the way of vacations this year. We did spend a week in Phoenix in May for my birthday. I am a big fan of off-season vacations!

- Buddy did skating lessons (again) and baseball (for the first time) this winter and spring. He hasn't decided on a winter activity this year, but we are thinking he will probably skate again because he seems to enjoy it. His favorite activity continues to be playing video games. He saved enough money to buy himself a PS4 this year. Screen time rules are still strongly enforced as he becomes a total jerk when he spends too much time fighting aliens.

- Speaking of Buddy, activities and working - Buddy got his first summer job this year: working for me! He worked 4 weeks this summer which was a great experience for him. He now has a better idea of how education and experience impact wage and what it means to do a menial task for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Hopefully this helps him understand the long-term benefits of working hard in school.

- Swar and Grem are still good. Swar is 16 now and Grem is 8. The continue to be crabby and stubborn (Swar) / over-energetic and spastic (Grem). Age never seems to change their doggie-personalities, and although they can both be pretty darned annoying we wouldn't change them for the world.

So that's the past year in a nutshell. How did it get into this nutshell?!?

(Austin Powers joke, which if you already knew, good job)

No comments:

Post a Comment