About Me

My photo

I'm a 30-something wife and mom. My boys are my pride and joy. Together, we are navigating being a forever family post international adoption.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

The 4th First Day

This week, Buddy had his 4th first day of school as a part of our family.

He returned to the same school as last year, with the same home room teacher and classmates. This made for the easiest first day of school we've had yet.

I have written about the mistake we made choosing Buddy's first school, as well as his experience last year on the 1st day. These events were big moments in our family.

This year... Not so much.

- We did all our school supply shopping on Amazon, except for the items we re-purposed from previous years (including Five-Star binders Hubby and I have had since WE were teenagers!).
- We didn't buy any "back to school" clothes, except a pair of new shoes Buddy bought himself with the money he earned working this summer (also purchased on Amazon).
- We gradually packed up Buddy's school bag the weeks before school started.
- I didn't pick out a special first day outfit for Buddy.

We didn't have any big lead-up to the first day of school. We didn't do anything out of the ordinary the day before school started.

We were just chill.

Yes, under his arm there are another 2 boxes of Kleenex, the school annual requirement

Buddy woke up the morning of his first day, ate a normal breakfast, did his normal routine, performed all his normal morning chores and headed off to school. No fuss, no drama, no dysregulation, no hypervigilant over-excitement.

I'm kind of kicking myself for not being chill sooner!

Today was just like any other day. Which is the biggest school victory we've had so far. I am so proud of my Sweet Boy. And I'm also proud of Hubby and I for meeting him where he needs to be.

So, here's to a great first day of school. May there be many others.

Especially next year, when Buddy will have to move schools again.

2 comments:

  1. Well done on finding the right back-to-school formula for your boy! :) I'm a bit confused by the boxes of Kleenex though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the division we are in, the school purchases the majority of the school supplies for all the kids. Except each child must bring there teacher 2 boxes of Kleenex on the first day of school. I have no idea why they don't factor that into the cost of school supplies that we already pay them for, it cracks me up every year.

      Delete