About Me

My photo

I'm a 30-something wife and mom. My boys are my pride and joy. Together, we are navigating being a forever family post international adoption.

Saturday, October 8, 2016

Homemade Pumpkin Pie (using REAL pumpkin!)


This weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving.

Growing up, my Mom always cooked a big traditional Thanksgiving turkey meal which ended in pumpkin pie made from scratch with real pumpkin.

I actually didn't even know canned pumpkin filling existed until I grew up and started doing my own grocery shopping.

My Mom is on a European holiday this year, so I am hosting a slightly less elaborate Thanksgiving meal. It will just be Hubby, Buddy and I along with my little brother and his girlfriend. Not to mention the pug patrol of Swar, Grem and my Mom's new dog Rose. We're going to have a chicken instead of turkey with fewer trimmings and boxed stuffing. 

But, I couldn't skip making my Mom's pumpkin pie from scratch.


CRUST:
- 2 C graham cracker crumbs
- 8 Tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • Add the ingredients into a food processer and pulse until combined and has the look and feel of wet sand. 
  • Spread the mixture evenly into a 9" pan (use either your fingers or a flat bottomed glass). Firmly press the mixture over the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
  • Bake the crust on the middle rack of an oven pre-heated to 275 °F for about 10-15 minutes, until it is firm and lightly browned. Remove and cool

FILLING:
- 1/2 C milk
- 1/2 C whipping cream
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 C packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 C real pumpkin*
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp each cloves, ginger, nutmeg (or to taste) 
- 1 tsp salt
  • In a sauce pan, heat the milk and cream until bubbles form (do not boil).
  • Add the other ingredients, mixing, in order listed. Mash if desired to give a smoother texture.
  • Pour the filling into the cooled pie crust
  • Bake in the center of a pre-heated oven at 450 °F for 10 minutes.
  • Turn down the temperature to 350 °F for 25 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
  • Remove from oven, cool. Serve with whipped cream.
*To get real pumpkin for the pumpkin filling, you will need 1 small pumpkin. Cut it in half, scoop out the contents (save the seeds if you like for roasted pumpkin seeds, another family favorite), cut into large chunks and steam or boil for 10-15 minutes. Cool until manageable to the touch. scoop the pumpkin flesh away from the rind and mash to desired texture. It is probably even possible to get 2 pies worth of pumpkin if you want to double the recipe.

I promise, it is not hard to do and is worth it for the flavour of real pumpkin.

Yummy! 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment