About Me

My photo

I'm a 30-something wife and mom. My boys are my pride and joy. Together, we are navigating being a forever family post international adoption.

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Whirlwind Work Trip

As I mentioned in some of my last posts, I've had some pretty significant changes at work over the last few months.

I've been in the same profession for over a decade and have always done pretty much the same thing. In the spring of 2015, my company successfully bid on a contract and I was chosen to manage it. The whole experience has been really rewarding but also very challenging. Some days I stop and wonder how this is now my professional life!

As part of my new role, I am able to do some traveling on our company plane. Before you get too jealous, it isn't as glamorous as you may think. There is no champagne and caviar. There actually isn't even a bathroom on board! But it beats flying commercial, because it allows me to go multiple places in one day.

This month, I've flown to 11 different communities in 6 days. And boy are my arms tired! (ba dam CHI). We traveled not only by 5-seater airplane, but also by helicopter and over winter roads. I almost had to go by snowmobile, too, but luckily that was an hour ride in -30C weather I managed to avoid!

It was a great experience. I grew up in the north and this trip made me miss where I come from. Except the cold. Oh MAN, was it ever cold!

While pictures don't do it justice, I thought I'd share a few.

Beautiful (and Cold!)
Northern Airport: No security clearance here
Our Plane
View from the airplane
Our Helicopter (the pilot graciously carrying my bag)
View from the chopper
Driving on the Winter Road
Winter Road from the Air
Home!
And if you've never ridden in a helicopter over frozen muskeg to visit a remote island village:




No comments:

Post a Comment